Friday 16 November 2012

Irving Penn

 

''A good photograph is one that communivates a face, touches the heart and leaves the viewer a changed person for having seen it''
- Irving Penn
I decided that Irving Penn was a great starting point for my progect as it seems to me that his work is the ideal image of what a portrait should be. I dont think it can get confused with fashion or any other genra so its a safe place to being my research.

image of Rudolf Nureyev
Rudolf Nureyev -  New York 1965
I really like the lighting on this image. To me it looks as though there is a light hitting the back drop lighting this up. Also a light hitting the model from the left hand side of the frame this creating a shaddow on the right of him. I think this gives the image a real soft feel to it, and not too harsh. I think that this is also created because the image is in black and white. Has a timeless feel to it.

No comments:

Post a Comment