Friday 1 November 2013

Artist Research - Chris Gloag

Chris Gloag:
 
So i wasn't too sure what to do research on for this project and after looking about (and failing miserably) for photographers who use depth of field a lot i could find one till i stumbled across this guy. I have picked some of his images out to show the 3 different depth of field types that i am meant to be capturing in my project. I thought that this would be a good starting point for my research...

Shallow depth of field: 


 
 
These are what i could find of shallow depth of field. I think that that this use of shallow depth of field has been chosen for these images to make them soft and really get you drawn in onto the face of the subject. It really works well with the soft lighting used to light the subjects. When using shallow depth of field the eyes should be really sharp and these are two really good examples of this, especially the second image because the models eyes are so bright and piercing. I think that these are stronger images and have more impact because the eyes are so sharp and detailed.
 
 
Mid depth of field: 
 
 





 
I like how mid depth of field gives you more detail in the image. I think that this is great for portraiture because it give you a sense of the person. You can see there clothes and more of the face clearly and more sharp it helps tell a story more, but still has the detail. I think that i like these two images even more because they are in black and white. There is no colour to distract you from the models and there striking faces. Again really like the lighting. The top is more harsh creating shadows, this also really helps the face of the subject pop from the background and highlights the depth of field more. Whereas the second image has lot more softer lighting. The model looks less edgy and harsh.
 
Long depth of field:



 
These are two examples of long depth of field. I like the images but i think that this depth of field is my least favourite. I don't think that it captures the emotion and the detail that the other two do. In these images it seems like the background pays just as much part as the model does. So as someone who likes to capture detail and emotions in the models faces this is really not my type of setting. I do like however how Chris has chosen backgrounds that are not too overly busy to photograph his models. It still gives you a chance to look at them rather than being overpowered by something that is doing on in the background.

No comments:

Post a Comment