Wednesday 12 February 2014

India in my eyes – Barbara Macklowe

This seemed like an obvious book to look at for my project due to obvious reasons. I wanted to start at this point, although I don’t really want to be taking images like this of typical Indian culture. I want to get into detail and zoom in to the image. However this is a great starting point to begin research with.


What I like about this image is the colour of the models eyes. The way that she is staring right down the lens of the camera, creating an intense, powerful looking image. The way she is covering her face also makes the image intense, all you can see is her eyes. It reminds me of one of my favorite quotes –

“The eyes shout what the lips fear to say”


The eyes are the main factor in this image and if the face wasn't covered in this way I don’t think it would be as strong. I also like the lighting. It isn't too intense but still is enough it make the eyes piercing and bright. 


These are what I expect typical images of Indian culture to look like and something that I will try and avoid. It may be a good place to start but I really want to get closer and get detail in the clothes and jewellery of the women. There dress and style is so rich in colour and full of detail it would be a shame not to capture this.   


Natural images like this are the type and style of what I want to be capturing to put into my book. I want to look at objects, colour and composition. I want to look at where people have been not so much the people themselves. This image is a perfect example of that. It has everything that I want to capture and is a great reference for me to keep in mind when wandering the streets of Goa in search of some images. I like how the photographer has got up close to the shoes and composed the image so that they are in the bottom corner rather than taking up the full frame. This allows for colour and texture to be added due to the rustic door frame and the tiled walls. 


What i take from this: 
  • Subtle natural lighting seems to be a running factor in these images and something that I want to take and use in mine. I don’t want any harsh flashes – only if absolutely necessary – I want the colour to speak for itself and the way that the sun hits an object or a person and creates shadows and shades. 
  • It’s all about composition. Don’t just think of what I can get from the image, but also the surroundings and what I can incorporate into the frame to strengthen the image.  

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for your comments about my book. Please be aware that it is under copyright that includes the entire book both the title and all of the photographs. It is available on Amazon U.S.

    ReplyDelete