Thursday 6 February 2014

Book Layout Research - Paolo Roversi

One of my favorite books, maybe just because I love the photographer, but still I want to look at Paolo sets out his images on the page. I really find this photographer inspiring and is someone’s work that I really look up to. I think that this is a great place to get started with this project as I always find something new that sparks a new lease of life in my work when looking at his. 




Something I noticed in the book that I haven’t really seen before is having a blank page that is black. I have seen them white, but this is something different. I’m not too sure if I like it or not. With the dark nature of the image itself on the white page I think that having a full black page on the opposite side really takes away from the impact that the image on the other page has. Maybe if the image was strong and full of detail it would be able to hold its own but in these examples I think that the black page is just too intense.

Image over two pages: 

This is a bit of a bug bare that I have. It really irritates me when photographers place an image over two pages like this. For a number of reasons. The fact that the photographer has chosen to do this in this case has really ruined the image for me. The model appears distorted and you lose so much detail. It effects the framing and the style of the image. But a main concern of mine (trivial as it may be) is the fact that you really have to bend the book to be able to see the image fully and get an image that isn't as distorted. Why? Why do this to me? Don’t the creators of these books know this is how you lose pages? It irritates me so much!!


While I’m on a rant I would like to point out another issue I have. I understand that this is a square format image, I get that, but why have one small side then a big gap on the other page? The image is already distorted may as well even it out and make it look nice on the page. Unless it’s a landscape image in a book of this shape I just don’t think it should be done. I don’t like the unevenness of the framing.  

No comments:

Post a Comment