Wednesday 5 February 2014

Book Layout Research - Skins & Punks

So yet again in typical Rose form I see something with the word ‘skinhead’ or ‘punk’ on it and I instantly want to have a look! Normally it most probably wouldn't be relevant for what I was doing and would normally cause me a distraction. However I have found use for it as I am going to use it as ideas on layout. 


A book with a cover like this is one that would draw me to it instantly. The way that the photographer has chosen an image full of colour and also a big indication of what is expected throughout the book. I also really like the way that the name of the photographer and also the book title is right in the center of the page. It’s clear but still has a grunge feel to it that I would expect from a book about the punk/skinhead subculture. The image and use of text complement each other and the theme of the book. 


Presenting images with a boarder gives the viewer chance to look at the image and not be overwhelmed by colour, detail and content. It negative space helps the image to stand off the page. It also allows for the name, date and other details that might be necessary or wanted to be placed under the image. Another reason I think that a boarder helps is you can position landscape or portrait images on the page without having to crop the image. I like how on this page you can see a landscape and portrait image on adjacent pages. 


This is an amazing choice of layout!!! The content of the image paired with the way that the photographer has chosen to present the image on the page really strengthens the image. The picture of 2 lads on a motorbike seems to appear to run across the page and run into the other side and off the book. It has a flowing motion what I really like. Sometimes I don’t like presenting an image over 2 pages because I feel you lose detail in the image but due to the simplicity and the nature of the image I think that this works really well and is the perfect way to present this image. 


Something I would never really do (personally) is place a colour image next to a black and white one. I know they are technically on different pages but when the book is open they are next to one another. I think that this can really distract you from the image. It makes it too busy I personally think and could take a bit of a tacky approach making the images look less classic. There is just something about this that doesn't sit well with me and I think that this will be something that I will be looking to avoid in the creation of my book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment