Thursday 6 February 2014

Book Layout Research - My Own Book

As part of my final major project in collage I had to produce a book showing my final project as well as final prints to display in an exhibition. I found this a really good learning curve and one that I am really happy to have experience due to the fact we have to now do it again. I know it may not be the best of books but its mine, and I’m proud of it.

I’m going to look back at it now and see what layouts I have decided to use and try and see if I can get any ideas or dos and don’ts from what I have produced so that I can go into this project better informed due to previous attempts.  

I like the cover of my book because I feel like it expresses what I was trying to do with my final project. I wanted to be able to show portraits but not only that try and express emotion through my images, showing how people feel and how they express or repress their feelings. So the use of a double exposed image seemed appropriate at the time to try and show the 2 sides of people’s personality and feelings. I didn't want the text/title to be overpowering, yet I still wanted it to be noticeable on the page.   

Another thing I purposely did for the cover of my book is used the unedited image. This was a film shot that I then went and spot cleaned in Photoshop. However I chose not to use the edited one because I wanted the book to have a grunge, rough feel to it. I didn't want it to be crisp and clean on the outside. I don’t think the images inside needed that cleanness. They are rather dark and grainy and I think that this is reflected in the cover.

Page layouts in my book:

Throughout my book I chose on each different page to put 2 images of the same model. The reason for this was to try and create some kind of narrative that expressed different emotions/expressions felt by the same model. This was a really important factor to my book that I carried throughout. 


These two pages are laid out in the same style. The reason behind this is I think that if I used 2 full pages side by side it would have been too overwhelming and packed full of tone, texture and detail that would have been too much to take in.  The strongest of each pair I decided to frame. The reason for this is I think that the image could stand alone and still be strong. It made an impact and the model really connected with the viewer without having it to be a full page image. Whereas the other image, although having a lot of detail wasn’t in my view as strong of an image so I thought that by creating these as full page layouts they wouldn't be in the shadow of the other image on the opposite page. I really like this layout and I think that it works well. This is something that I will consider using in my next book.


Looking back at my book I think a factor that I like is that I have chosen a framing style for each image and what works best for that image rather than what looks good with the rest of the book. By concentrating on the look of the individual image I have been able to create a book that makes each image look strong and make an impact. I think that this is more important than having a running layout theme throughout the book. 

No comments:

Post a Comment