Wednesday 19 November 2014

Artist Research - Sylvie Bendel



I have found some amazing new research that has really helped me on deciding how I want my images to look. These images below indicate the type of images I want to create. One really dark image of the subject close up and one of them in a location that I think resembles my idea of them. 

Below are 2 examples of beautiful images by Sylvie Bendel , One of a stunning close up portrait of a subject, and another of a man out in the street.


This is such a stunning image, the white of the subjects eyes really stands off the page and grabs your attention. It maybe looks as though the photographer has dodged them in the darkroom to make them crisp and white. The lighting coming down as the subject looks up really captures the eyes and also pulls the features out.  It also highlights the contrast of the dirt on the subjects skin and almost creates a pattern of tones. the composition of the image also helps the image have a strong impact. The dark negative space that the subject is looking into, gives you more chance to pay attention to the face and especially the eyes. A truly beautiful portrait in my opinion.  



What I like about this image is that fact that the viewer is looking down at the subject I don’t think that this is done in a ‘im better than you way’ but it gives you full view of the subject, but also gives a lot of detail to add the image because of what you can see in the background. I also like the fact that the photographer has chosen to capture the tram in the image. Slight vignette in the images rally help you focus in on the centre and where the man is stood in the frame

As well as giving me great inspiration these images have also helped me as I always doubt myself using black and white all the time and think that I should experiment with colour. However these show that black and white prints have a real timeless look to them.  

No comments:

Post a Comment